How to Find Competitive Keywords for Your Site

I'm going to dive a little into how to find keywords for your real estate blog. This is going to be geared towards investors, BUT you can use this as an agent as well. It's the same concept. This is what I use for my We Buy Houses Atlanta Georgia website.
Figure out what your best keyword is. For investors, it's "We Buy Houses." This keyword is one that's everywhere and people in the general public know it pretty well. If they are trying to find someone to buy their house that's in distress then they will most likely think of the term "we buy houses." If you're an agent, here's Carrot's Real Estate Agent Keyword Bible for a foundational run down.
So, knowing your main major keyword, we are going to go over to Neil Patel's Ubersuggest
Type in your main keyword here. I usually associate it with the area I'm in, such as Georgia. This will narrow down the results a little more, but not completely, as you'll see in the picture below. This keyword search engine will show you about how much the Cost Per Click (CPC) is for Google Adwords along with the monthly volume of that particular keyword.
Your main keyword will pull up other cities that don't matter to you, so obviously ignore these. You don't want to rank for them because you can't service that area. I usually start by sorting the data for CPC. The reason for this is that I know there's a lot of competition for these keywords in Adwords.
Let's say "We Buy Houses Atlanta" has a monthly volume of 320 at $71.82 cost per click. If I can get in the top three rankings for this Google search then my marketing value is enormous. 
Position | % Volume | Monthly Marketing Value:
  1. | 32.5% | $7,467
  2.  | 17.6% | $4,044
  3.  | 11.4% | $2,619
I calculate this "Monthly Marketing Value" as if I were to pay for this traffic to my site, I would have to pay Google Adwords $X,XXX amount to obtain that traffic. If I rank with SEO, and I get that traffic organically, then my traffic value, or Monthly Marketing Value are these amount. Note that this is MONTHLY. How many of us are used to spending $1,000-$5,000-$10,000 / month in marketing? This makes a massive difference. If I can rank for #1 for a whole year, then that annual marketing value is $74.6k. Think about how much you'd be saving in your business by focusing on SEO. This is just a single keyword guys.

Note: This is a theory calculation. This is my "holy crap, my traffic is worth this much!?" calculation. In reality, you can find out the number of clicks on each of these keywords for each ranking by hovering your mouse over the chart icon as shown below. 

Diclaimer: To get my screen shot app to work (I have a drop down window to activate it [SnagIt]) and hover over the chart icon quickly enough to get the information to pop up took me ~30 tries. It was dumb and I was determined. 
 To find the keyword I needed quickly, I CTRL+F'd that ish. This chart show you how many clicks were organic so this will show you what you can get monthly. You can calculate that out like we did above. 

For this instance, Organic #1 gets 31 clicks per month. At $71.82 CPC, that's $2,226 in Montly Marketing Value, and $26,717 annually. So, pretty freaking awesome. Ammirite? 

So to make this easier on you all, instead of copying and pasting each keyword, its volume, and its CPC, you can scroll down to the bottom of the page and export it to Excel. Just export to CSV. 
With this, we can quickly go through the Excel sheet and just click on a row and hit the "Delete" button. After you have deleted all of the content that you don't want, highlight the columns and Filter the content via CPC and/or volume. 
Once I'm done, I upload it to my Google Drive and I start prioritizing keywords. I know I'm going to have a buttload, so I go through and will bold all of the keywords with volume over 320 / month and CPC of $30-$40+. Then I get to work on those. 
 
 This is how I do my keyword research for my Sell My House Fast Atlanta Georgia websites. If you have any questions or complaints (I'll ignore those) shoot em over. Thanks guys. 

Comments